Wednesday 5 December 2007

Two corpses and a plane crash.

It is late, but I can't sleep for thinking about four unfortunate men who have crossed my path this day.

First was DeWhymper's manservant Eustace, whose bones I crunched underfoot in the clocktower.

Second was Charles DeWhymper, who feels guilt for the death of a man who trusted him, and is mourning the loss of a good man servant.

Third was Lord Worthing, who keeps vigil in a crypt with the corpse of his wife. He swears she moves, and that she is still alive. But above ground his four fine sons need a father.

Fourth was the French pilot, whose name no-one would tell me. He's going to live, but he is badly burned, and he knows that someone has tried to kill him.

The events at the priory have scared me. My life has been cloistered until now, and the wide world was always going to involve surprises; but nothing could have prepared me for the death of Eustace. Professor C and DeWhymper agree he was thrown through time by the clock until he fell to dust.

The Professor is convinced that the clock will be of some use in helping Lord Worthing go back in time to save his wife, if only he can learn how to use it properly. I am struggling with the ethics of this; I have prayed for guidance, though, and I have faith that I will be answered.

Lord Worthing commanded that we go down to his estate, claiming that he had something to show us. On the way, a terrifying thing, a flying machine raced our train. Professor C wonders how these young men survive such speeds -- he is sure their organs should be pulp by now. We met two of Lord Worthing's sons -- they seem nice enough boys, although they mourn two mothers and have good as lost a father.

Later, we met the other brothers, Douglas and George, who have a passion for flying machines and are hoping to race across the English Channel for a prize of £1,000. We witnessed a crash -- Douglas Worthing and I were first at the scene and were able to pull the French pilot from the burning machine. We took him to the village, where the doctor is attending to him.

The Frenchman blames the German team. Graf Von Kluge, the designer is hard to like -- although Professor C provoked him. Later, we found a broken part in the wreck of the plane.

Lord Worthing has not shown us what he called us here to see -- instead, he charged the Professor with investigating the crash. The Professor is not pleased, but has acquiesced. He fears he will lose his job, and the chance to study time, if he does not obey Lord Worthing. I am glad to assist in my own small way. I would like to see whoever hurt the poor Frenchman brought to justice. He was a handsome man, and will take his scarring badly.

I feel so many doubts. I have been employed to ensure that Professor C conducts his research as a good Catholic like Lord Worthing would wish. In my heart, I do not believe that what Lord Worthing wants to achieve is something a good Catholic should want.

Part of me would end this contract and return to Rome; but another part of me clings to this chance to see England, to find out more about myself, this book and, perhaps if there really was another child born to my parents.

--

The Player says: This was a long old session -- 6pm until 9pm -- that covered a lot of ground. I'm still not remembering to use my Perception and Empathy skills; but I remembered Nick's admonition about us failing to use our style points last time. I noticed that Sister J tries really hard to get people to like her, which is a lot like me in real life. Tim on the other hand, makes Professor C positively unlikeable with his Daily Mail-style imperialist frothings-at-the-mouth. Next time I'm going to play a horrible character; although it is challenging to get Sister J to work round people. I loved the pilots -- they reminded me of the Flambards books.

2 comments:

PMikey said...

I'm enjoying your post-game blogs. Wish I could get my players to do the same voluntarily without the threat of withheld level advancement ;)

I particularly like your latest entry with the in-character portion followed up by your own observations and comments as a player.

This is the kind of insight that helps GMs get a grasp of exactly what their players are getting out of the game and out of their characters.

Bravo!

Clare said...

Thanks!

This is my first game, and writing like this helps me get in character.

Nick gives style points for writing blog entries. Plus I don't want Tim over at Her0press.blogspot.com getting all the attention.

So it's not entirely voluntary...